Sunday 6 October 2013

Tunnel Channel

The focus of yesterday's activity was the transmission tunnel.  The first thing that I wanted to do was to run the 7-core cable that will carry power to all of the rear lights and the fuel-lift pump.
This runs along the bottom of the tunnel then rises-up to meet the connecting cables from the fuse box and switch panel.  You can also see that the prop-shaft is in situ.  This has been a debacle.  I collected the shaft on Friday having had it shortened from the length that it was originally made to - still not sure if this was my fault or the manufacturers.  Anyway, it looks okay for length now but the 3" dia rear section is too close to the tunnel on the driver's side.  I may end-up with yet another version - I'm trying to canvass opinions on how big the tube needs to be.  It's very frustrating.
A bit more of the prop and the front-to back cables can be seen here.  I've also started to tidy-up the battery cables but need some large heat-shrink to finish the job.  I also spent a little bit of time painting the water pipe that had been welded-up during the week:
Finally, I collected the side-impact protection framework that Dave from Track Developments has put together for me.  This is now a 'Blue Book' requirement but it's left open to interpretation.  Mine has been designed to not be too rigid - it's a crumple-zone for want of a better word.
The camera angle makes it look a bit odd - it's not as bizarre as it looks.  I'll get this powdercoated at the same time as the roll cage.

This week I shall mostly be deciding what to do with the propshaft - Kate and I are planning to go to Cadwell Park on the weekend to watch the last races of the season.  Hopefully folk won't think me too weird when I ask to see down their transmission tunnel.

TC

No comments: