Thursday 21 April 2016

Sill-y and exhausting

That title minus hyphen could be attached to a couple of aspects of life at present.  I shan't bore you with the pleasures of adverse possession applications or disobedient pastry however.

Instead, let's talk about my new exhaust.  Over the last couple of years I've flirted with a couple of options on exhaust fabrication:Simpson and AB Performance were deemed lovely but too pricey and in the case of AB too distant; Tony Law was also ruled-out on the basis of distance; Interpro and Pro-Speed were ruled-out because they were both a bit 'road car.'  In the end I plumped-for Harvey Robinson in Lampeter - an ex-F1 engineer and a truly splendid chap to deal with.  Harvey was chosen for four reasons.  Firstly he came recommended by a couple of contacts down-West.  Secondly he uses mild steel which is lighter than stainless.  Thirdly he provides a very economical solution. Finally, he said that he could make a silencer in whatever shape I wanted.  My silencer is therefore the same shape as my sill.
There is a slight downside in that the silencer doesn't fill the void that we created for it as Harvey's view was that to go bigger would just add weight.  Once a snazzy access panel is made however (which will let me get to the lambda bosses which is a bonus) it will all look rather excellent.
Harvey bends the pipes by filling them with sand and using heat - no welded together bends here - all very organic-looking.  It's nice to use traditional craftsmanship in my book too.
I'm so pleased with it that I don't want it to rust so tomorrow it's off to Tactical Coatings in Hereford to be ceramic coated.  What's more, the cost of the coating is half what Camcoat charged me on the MNR all those years ago.  It's therefore off the car and in its constituent parts.  
The specification includes two lambda bosses - one for the ECU and one for the rolling road operator, a slice of catalyst in the tailpipe and unusual curves.
So there we have it.  I'll post more pictures when it's back-in-black.

Oh, if anyone wants a MNR manifold for the 4C8 R1 or indeed some fancy machines AB Stainless flanges and collars, drop me a line.

TC

No comments: