Sunday 13 January 2013

British Racing Beige

I've realised that I'd failed to mention on here that, having procrastinated for ages over a the colour to powdercoat the chassis, RAL 1019 was only available with a significant surcharge.  The closest 'standard' colour available was RAL 7032 so I went with it.

Was this the right decision?  Mmmmmaybe.  I got back from a nice couple of days in Tuscany yesterday and at the first opportunity today headed over to see the chassis.
It's rather lighter than I'd originally planned.  The good news is that it will show cracks very easily.  The bad news is that it shows every slight imperfection in welds, joins, tubes and so on.  If this was to be my road-going exquisitely finished and upholstered weekend car, I'd be tempted to have it recoated in something a bit less stark.  In actual fact, this will probably do the job better than I'd intended so it's all good,  It's also pretty smart.
It's certainly difficult to photograph: in some it appears almost bright white; in others it appears mint green.
It has struck me that its actually fairly similar to the hue applied by Lotus in the early days of the Seven.  Since I was struggling to take a decent photo I wondered if a contrasting component might help.
Apparently not - the happy bi-product is however that I confirmed that final welding hasn't prevented the reverse motor from fitting.  This is a good thing as I've just sent the custom prop-gear back for tooth rounding and hardening.  The reverse now stands me at well over £600.  It'd better bloody work.

I've also bought the last of the 'dash' switches that I need.  I'll post some pics and info in a separate post later in the week.

TC

No comments: