Thursday 22 April 2010

Paddling (Upstream.)

I’m quite proud that I’ve managed to use the verb ‘paddling’ as both a metaphor and in a literal sense in the same post. I never claimed to be terribly normal….

In the literal sense, we now have a ‘flappy-paddle’ (do I need to credit Clarkson for that term?) and rocker assembly - two of the major components to be used in the rod-arrangement paddle shift system that we’re employing on the car. These aren’t just ANY old components however. They’re not made from steel or even aluminium. There are made of kevlar composite. Steve created a sheet of suitable material by building up layers of matting, sheet and resin. I’d love to tell you more about the process put it might as well be juju for all my knowledge of it. Anyway, I’m told that it is very light and should be more than strong enough to do the job. The sheet was then cut to shape by AndyW7de using a water-jet cutter. Here are the results:
The sheet was big enough to get couple of sets out. My paddle is the larger one. I’ve experimented with wheel sizes and have found that I don’t get on terribly well with tiny wheels. My wrists are increasingly prone to aches and pains (no lewd remarks necessary!) and I just feel a bit more comfortable with a 12” wheel. The intention is to finish the edges either with gel coat or possibly by polishing with cutting compound. I did the same on the carbon back panel on my MNR with good results.
I use the paddling upstream metaphor in relation to Steve’s activity on the chassis of late. I really do not envy him trying to find time to work on the car and help look after a new baby and work full time. I’m in no rush so everything is fine my end – I just wish I could help a bit more. The two Ds, distance and dissertation, don’t lend themselves well to this unfortunately.

That said, I’m hoping to have a day off studying to go to Brands Hatch on Sunday to see the RGB race and to have a look at some of the new cars that are joining the Championship. Hopefully, Saturday’s race will be without incident and I won’t miss anyone.  My old comrades from the Locost Championship are there too so it should be a good day.

TC

No comments: